It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally Got My Macho
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:05 am 

It took me quite a bit of searching but I found a 79 Macho in great shape. Got it titled here in VA and have started the process of getting this vehicle cleaned up and powered up. The body and undercarriage are great. The running boards are coming off next weekend. I also want to see if I can get the numbers blacked out. I would like to get it as close to OE set up as possible visually speaking.
It runs pretty well but the engine needs to be rebuilt, and the 360 that is in it has a lot of options. I would like to get the power up to the 290-315 hp. Trans shifts great but not sure it will handle that bump in hp? It has the 3 speed auto, the 727 I believe.
Hopefully by the end of this week I can get all the fluids drained and flushed. It doesn’t smoke upon start up at all, but it has been sitting in a nice barn for the last 10 years and is rarely taken out. I will be on here regularly trying to figure things out, the time not other vehicle I have any experience bring back is a 1994 Ford F-150 Flare Side that my son and I did last year.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Finally Got My Macho
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:07 am 

Should say BUMPERS not numbers blacked out lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 pm 

Having some issues posting a pic of the truck

Attachments:
21D0DEA0-7D44-4F83-9FB7-298630E5B854.jpeg
21D0DEA0-7D44-4F83-9FB7-298630E5B854.jpeg [ 98.84 KiB | Viewed 8166 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 pm 

Nice!! 727 will easily handle the power level you are after.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 am 

Thank you for your input! Hopefully the trans is in good shape - it seems to shift well and no issues so far. The rear differential is a little moist - kind of looks like a half moon where the seal or gasket is not at 100%. Will need to add that to the list of items that will need to be checked/flushed/re-filled/reevaluated. So much fun ahead lol

Post subject: Re: Finally Got My Macho UPDATE and Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:54 pm 

All fluids changed and the differentials have been repaired and painted - I painted the bolts silver for giggles, see pics.
New brakes all the way around - new calipers in the front, those were seized up, and new pads - the thing actually can stop now. I got all the break materials - and a new brake line and fluids - for $201 at Autozone - love the old autos, everything is like a BIC lighter, just rip it out and stuff a new one in
Tore the cab apart too - some mice took up residence in there over the winter and I spent a solid 20 hours steaming, shampooing, and disinfecting everything - but now when it gets humid outside it still smells like mice pee - somebody mentioned ozone treatment, anybody know if that works?
Now I have to figure out why the gas gauge doesn't work - it has dual tanks, but no switch anywhere in the cab - some online stuff says there may be a valve underneath the truck, but I have not checked yet. Maybe a bad sending unit, or who knows...Not sure if it pulls from the front tank then goes to the bank tank or what...I just filled it up with gas (both tanks) as I have not been driving it, but I will find out soon

Attachments:
IMG_6181.jpg
IMG_6181.jpg [ 132.11 KiB | Viewed 8138 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:03 pm 

You will probably have to replace the carpet and paint the floor pan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:28 pm 

Yes, will see if the smell improves at all. I had the truck out all weekend and put three hundred miles on it, with windows down and fresh air it is helping.
I see you have many posts on here, Wertman94, so I will ask you - what are your thoughts on switching the macho over to EFI? I have two buddies, one who says I would be crazy not to switch it over and another who claims I would be crazy if I switched it over. I need a new carburetor anyways, and I would like to drive the truck in the cold weather - I have had two carbureted vehicles and they were suspect when it got below 50 degrees lol - and I am planning on upgrading the engine and overall performance, so I am unsure which option to go with. I appreciate any feed back, thanks!