It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel indicator question...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 pm 

Ok. Replaced sending unit, cleaned ground. Replaced gauge cluster and gauge. Obviously none of them were bad because the gauge reads the same as it did before I started. That kinda frustrated me cuz now I'm unsure of where to go next. It will sometimes read just over half tank when full then work its way up to between 3/4 and full and then about 9-10 gallons later read empty. Anyone seen this before and know a fix?

Post subject: Re: Fuel indicator question...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 pm 

I had a dirt dobber build a nest in my fuel tank vent hose one time and made my gage do goofy stuff. noticed it was always under pressure every time i went to put gas in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:15 pm 

That would be great. But I forgot to mention I put a new vent hose on when I had the box off for the sending unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 pm 

Could be your float in the tank has holes it and is letting gas in it.Giving you a false reading.The filter sock might be gone to and letting dirt get in around your filter causing false readings.Did you test the sending units electrical resistance with an ohm meter?You have to have it out of the gas tank.To test it place 1 lead of the ohm gauge on the wire connnection of the fuel gauge the other lead on the housing plate and move the float from empty to full.The older cars would read between 10 an 70 ohms.I'd imagine the 70's trucks would be the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 pm 

i tried the ohm trick it doesnt work at all, i have two trucks and i couldnt get either to read right. it didnt work on the stock or aftermarket gauge. my float didnt have holes, and i even swapped the gauges between the two and still nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 am 

Well the NOS sending unit had plastic float. NOS gauge seemed good. Weird part I thought is the same exact reading on gauge. Still only goes little over half when filled. On drive home it eeks up to between 3/4 and full. Next day when started its on half or a little less with about 4 gallons used. Then continues to empty and takes right around 10-11 gallons to fill back up. Same thing with original sending unit and original gauge. So obviously I didn't fix anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 pm 

First off these gauges have never been all that accurate but generally better than what ya got here. If any of mine ever read full, it takes a few blocks from the gas station to get there and doesnt stay there very long. They generally read low and the guage (in the dash) is dampened to prevent it bouncing all over due to fuel sloshing around. With the frame mounted tank it can read 3-5 gallons different based on the slope of the ground yer parked on.

Somebody said 70 ohms but I'm thinkin 90. Either way, full is zero ohms and empty is max resistance of the sender. Pop the guage lead off the sender and ground it. If the guage doesn't read above full, its a wiring issue (not the sender). A likely culprit here is the bulkhead disconnect as those connections just plain love to corrode.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:55 am 

Never was able to fix this gauge. New ohm meter, this summer I'll get some numbers off. But yeah, it's ridiculously bad. I grew up in 4 of these trucks and the gauges were never even remotely this bad.