It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simon & Simon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:33 am 

Have you guys seen Hulu.com? They have a lot of old television shows there. I was surprised to see where they had the first three seasons of Simon & Simon! I watched this episode last night. There are a lot of good sequences in it of Rick's 79 Macho. If you get time, watch it!

Post subject: Re: Simon & Simon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 am 

there are at least 2 different trucks in there.....one looks to be a correct macho with a 4 speed and correct macho roll bar....the other truck seen on the beach is a 81 with red interior painted to look like a macho...I wonder if either of the actors would reply to fan mail inquiring to the whereabouts of any of the trucks used.... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:10 am 

Thanks for pointing that out palomino, I didn't even notice! I remember someone posting about one of them sitting on the Universal lot. I think I got that picture from either you or LAST440... Which raises an interesting question... I wonder if this is a real Macho. Maybe both are at Universal. The San Diego museum should ask them for one of them as a donation!

Most shows have a variety of "stand in" vehicles used for all sorts of different shots. They may have had one that was used specifically for interior shots! I suppose this particular episode used a different truck to ram the van so they wouldn't trash their main truck. Magnum PI had two Ferraris that I know of, perhaps more! Man! Talk about an expensive stand in! I think "Dukes of Hazzard" had about thirty General Lees! lol...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:50 pm 

The truck seen on the Universal lot is the one with the '81 cab. Interesting too that one had an automatic transmisssion. In later seasons you never saw the true '79, it was always the one with the '81 cab. I was always curious about the '79. It was pretty beat up right from the start, and in '81 (the show's first season) it would only have been 2 years old. Also, it had a red hood. Did any of the production Machos have a bodu colored hood, or were they all black? I've been dying to make a copy of the Simon & Simon Macho since I was a kid, and one day... :D
I think I'd like to have the flat paint job of the first season (not as faded as later seasons) combined with perfect condition engine, running gear, and interior. I check out enay from time to time, but long bed Machos are rare. In the meantime, I have to settle for my 1/25th scale "Simon Macho"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:07 pm 

Sorry, I forgot the link to my photobucket album. It has pictures of my Simon & Simon Macho model, and some other projects. I added the address in my signature line. Please feel free to check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:18 am 

Hi Rick! Sounds like you're as big of a Simon & Simon fan as I am! I also credit the show as sparking my initial interest in Machos and Dodge trucks in general! I too would love to have one just like Ricks... eh... I mean, yours... ;)

I had a 79 M880 long bed almost in my hand when the owner sold it just hours before I got there! I had intended to dress it out just like the Simon & Simon Macho.

On a related note, do you have the DVD's or do you watch it on Hulu? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:13 pm 

Nice to meet you Dan,
I've been watching on Hulu. There are some episodes missing, but for the most part it's pretty good. Yes, I have been a fan of the '79-'80 Macho since the show. Rick's PW was the baddest truck on the block. I loved the wrecker bumper. I always had the opinion that the truck was purchased as is for the show. I never got the idea it was built (lift, tires, bumpers, grille removed) by the studio. I could however be wrong. Anyway, the show sparked my 28 year obsession for the Macho Power Wagon. Suprised how rare they seem to be today, especially the '79-'80 version. AS I said earlier, I'm wondering about the show trucks having a red hood. I'm also curious as to what ever happened to the trucks. The '81 was in pretty bad shape from the way it appeared on screen, but it could have been made to look that way. Any and all information I can find on the trucks is treasured internet gold to me :D . Great to have found the site. Nice to see the Machos have a following after all these years.