It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust kit from summit- what are your thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:21 pm 

I need a new exhaust system for my 78 PW SE since there is none. I was wondering what you guys think of this one from summit or jegs? It is all mandrel bent and is 2 1/4 wide so you don't lose any diameter and looks fairly simple to weld in. I was wondering if you guys have this kit and also what your exhaust system is like? I am running a stock 360 with a 2 barrel and headman headders. I would like to run this kit with some flow master mufflers for a nice sound. I was wondering if the duals will get in the way of the fuel tank since it sits up right next to the frame rail? If you guys have any suggestions or another kit you would recommend please post it!

Post subject: Re: Exhaust kit from summit- what are your thoughts?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm 

Looking at the bends near the flanges it appears designed to work with the stock cast iron manifolds instead of headers. Personally I would find a local shop and have them bend me up a set its usually cheaper than you think and you will get a custom fit. The last ones I had done were a couple hundred bucks out the door.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:24 pm 

I aggree, I think you would be better served having it custom bent, I would however suggest that you go with the best hangers you cna afford, those cheezy ones that the weld to your frame with the rubber extensions never last any length of time and this is a 4x4 so it will be taking a little more abuse. Just another opinion and you know the story about those. Oh yea one more thought for ya make sure you also use a high quality aluminized or if you can spring for it stainless steel tubing just makes it last even longer.

Classicironman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 pm 

Yeah I was wondering if that picture is of the actual kit or if it needs some modification. I need to find a place that has a mandrel bender and has the aluminized pipe so it lasts longer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 am 

Just ordered this other pipe kit and new hooker mufflers up!! I will let you know how the kit install goes, but it is all mandrel bent and was pretty inexpensive!http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-16552HKR/?rtype=10. Should make the old short wide sound pretty savage. It runs great and also has hedman headers so it should be breathing well!